about

My photo
Hi, I'm Ashley. I am an organized, slightly OCD fifth grade teacher and blog stalker. Even though most of my ideas are taken from someone else, I wanted to start a blog that is a compilation of these creations. There isn't one specific topic that this blog will cover, there will be teacher stuff, life happenings, and random thoughts... a hodgepodge of mumble jumble, if you will!
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, August 1, 2011

lanterns

So, as stated in previous post... I'm addicted to finding things to fill up my summer break, which has included crafting thanks to Pinterest. I decided that I wanted some cute lanterns to hang in my classroom this year, but I didn't want to pay a lot of money for them, so I found a couple of blogs telling how to make cute lanterns for cheap. And, that's what I did!

I found some plain jane white lanterns at The Christmas Tree Shops, I think they ended up being 89 cents and it came with a little light already in it! Sweet! After that, I went to my tissue paper pile (I hoard this stuff like nobody's business) and grabbed a few colors I liked.

Next, I traced a candle onto the tissue paper and used this as my stencil.
Then, ever so perfectly... I folded the tissue paper so that I would have several creases that I could draw half moons on, like this: After that, it's time to fold the stencil you made earlier in half and trace the half moons onto the tissue paper.Once you cut out all of the half moons, you will have several full circles and a few half circles, but don't throw away your half circles. Instead, use those to "line" the top of your lantern. Then, it's easy peasy from there. Whip out your hot glue gun and get busy gluing those circles on until you have your lantern filled up. Then your final product will look something like this:


Now, wasn't that easy! I made three cutsie lanterns for less than $3.00!! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment